When you make a cake at home, one of the problems that is more common is that it stays raw, especially inside. If it has ever happened to you, surely you have wondered why I have the raw sponge cake inside? And there are several errors that are made and that can explain why it has not been baked correctly. In general, all faults are related to the oven and the temperature, although it may also be due to other previous errors. However, when the cake remains raw, we must not despair because there is a solution. From, we will explain what to do when a cake stays raw and what are the main reasons why it happens so you can correct them beforehand.You may also be interested: How to make a cake
Why do I have the raw cake inside
When a cake stays raw inside several are the causes They explain that it didn't look good. Specifically, there are two. Both are related to the oven because those responsible are usually the temperature chosen and the position in which the mold is placed inside the oven.
- Temperature: It is the main reason why the raw sponge cake is inside, since the proper temperature has not been chosen well, being usual to put a higher one. And is that the degrees to which the cake is baked are fundamental. It is always important to set the temperature indicated in the recipe so that it does not brown much on the outside and prevent it from being raw inside. In general, the recommended temperature is about 170 degrees, although this time may vary depending on the oven, since it is not the same as a large one that is small or that produces heat both above and below.
- Position inside the oven: along with the temperature, it is another factor that influences the cake to remain raw inside. The choice of the best location will depend on whether the oven gives off heat from below and above. And it is not the same to place it very high than below. It is always best to place the mold with the cake batter in the middle of the oven. A tip that must be followed mainly when the oven produces heat from the top because it is what would burn it on the outside and leave it raw inside.
- Mold: But, in addition to these main causes, there is another reason that also influences when a cake remains raw. It is the mold. A bad choice, will make the cake not to bake well so it is advisable to always choose the one that is suitable for the type of cake that is being prepared. And it is not the same a cake for cake as for a plum cake or sponge cake, among other examples.
What to do when a cake is raw because of the oven temperature
When a cake stays raw inside and, in addition, the surface is getting hard and it seems that it is starting to burn, usually due to a problem of oven temperature. There is a solution and, in addition, it is very easy. Just, you must follow these steps:
- Foil: Putting a little aluminum foil on top of the dough helps to continue baking for a longer time so that it does not burn on the outside because this paper would act as a protective layer while it is done inside.
- Lower the oven temperature: Although the one indicated in the recipe has been put, it may not be the most convenient depending on the oven we have. It is best to lower it between five and ten degrees.
- Watch the cake: In addition, while the cake is still being baked, it is necessary to monitor every little time that it is being made and that it does not burn. If it started to brown too much, there would be no choice but to take it out of the oven and look for another alternative.
Where to put the cake in the oven so that it does not remain raw
When a cake remains raw inside, the temperature is not the only one responsible as we have commented previously. This is fundamental, place the cake well inside the oven so that it is not curved, since well placed will receive heat proportionally. To do this, you have to:
- Lower the mold with the sponge cake to the bottom of the oven to continue baking.
- Also cover it with aluminum foil to protect the already golden part so that it does not burn as we have indicated in the previous section.
- Lower the oven temperature, especially that of the upper zone, provided you have this option. It will take longer to bake, but it will be done inside.
How to recover the mass of the cake that is being raw
If you cannot implement any of the two previous tips for finish baking the cake Because it has burned a lot on the outside, there is still another alternative to not run out of cake. It's about recovering it. And how? The key is in remove the entire area burned or that is excessively golden and leave the less burned part and, above all, the raw inside.
This dough is what has to be put back in another mold to bake it again, but always selecting one low temperature and watching the cake every 5 minutes so that it does not burn again, which does not mean opening the oven door every time because then the cake may not rise.
If it is done well, you will have a smaller cake than you initially wanted to prepare, but you can eat it, although taking much smaller portions. In addition, the advantage is that no change in taste will be noticed.
With these tips on what to do when a cake remains raw, we hope we have given you good solutions and have answered your question of why the raw cake is inside and you can avoid these mistakes in your next biscuits. They are simple tricks to do with which you can prevent it from happening again and fix emergency situations in which you need to have the cake ready for your guests. We also recommend you to try different recipes and, for this, we invite you to consult this recipe book of Biscuit Recipes.
If you want to read more articles similar to What to do when a cake stays raw, we recommend that you enter our Recipes category.